Monday, March 16, 2009

Mexican Family

TITA
This is Imelda Hernandez. She scratches my back at church, brings me home for Sunday dinner, sends me home with carambolos and frijoles, and takes care of me when I need a place to stay.
TITO
This is Rafael Hernandez, Imelda's husband. Taking a nap after reading on a hot afternoon.
KIARA
Some of you may know that a little over a year ago, my very best friend here in Mexico, Lizeth Hernandez, and her daughter, Nitza, were killed by a drunk driver. This is Lizeth's youngest daughter, who has all the spunk and charm of her mother. She's becoming a really great reader and loves practicing writing new words. Lucky for her, I'm a schoolteacher who loves nothing better. She's my silly little kindred spirit, and we have a great time together.
GEMELA...TWIN
Adriana and I work together at the Four Seasons in Punta Mita. Apparently there is a strong resemblance, because even her husband, who also works at the hotel, sometimes gets the two of us confused. I think I'm on the winning end of this comparison, because Adriana is a beautiful person--inside and out.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Yes, there is a resemblance!
You're a marvelous work and a wonder Lindsay. I'm happy you have so many cool friends they seem muy cool.

Ashley said...

could Kiara be any cuter? She is beautiful.

Katie said...

It truly is the people who make a place. I'm glad you've found some great ones. Wishing we could come visit. Sigh...

Kellie and Justin said...

I love reading your blog and learning about your life down south. and your sweet little friend is adorable! lots of loves your way...

Mamie Coffey said...

Kiara is such an adorable little girl! I didn't know about the tragedy. It looks like you are surrounded by wonderful friends & "family". Love ya!

Karin said...

What was the snipers name in Engels? Was it Juri? Remember, he said wie are "oba"! Never forget that!