Sunday, November 15, 2009

Heirloom

I am the oldest of many grand-daughters. (If I were a clever blogger, I would have counted how many.) Most of them are married and mothering, and perhaps that is why they have mastered the recipe.

Grandma's Buns.

When we are all together, there is always plenty to do in the kitchen so that the buns and the pie-making (oops! did i just expose another genetic anomaly?) are best left to the others. This weekend, however, I had a surprising amount of free time with guests coming for Sunday dinner. Yeast was on sale. Flour was on sale. Oats were on sale. Even butter was on sale. It was a sure sign. On my last packet of yeast, I think I got it right.


On to the brussel sprouts.

4 comments:

Karin said...

looks yummy! I'll be over in a sec! Cooking is a skill aquired with practise in my opinion and ahsn't much to do with talent. Or maybe it's like the piano and the same rings true what a friend and I'll paraphrase a little said about playing the piano.

Some have talent, I have devotion.

MAybe I should extend the devotion I have to mastering recipes to mastering pieces of music on the piano. You don't happen to give online lessons?

In the Hartland said...

Nice job, Linds. Miss Ott would be proud.

ayoungblut said...

Those look like some pretty tasty grandma buns. (this coming from the non-cooking auntie). It is Sam's club for me. I do make grandma buns but rarely do they turn out as fine as those. Good job!c

Jess said...

mmm... My mouth is watering.