Sunday, August 16, 2009

Counting my Blessings

I haven't settled into a place where I can have meaningful exchanges with people at church, so, because it's Sunday, I would just like to share a few things on a religious note:

My last month in Mexico was a difficult stretch financially. I made a total of $40. (And that was because I was going in to work with the agreement that they didn't have to pay me. I prolonged the stretch portion of a class into yoga, et voila!) I received my deposit back from my apartment, and it was $200 less than what I expected. That $40 dollars was a day's worth of gas for my drive north. I needed it. But I was also about $80 behind on tithing. I made the decision to pay and "let the universe take care of the details."

I have wonderful friends and family. And they have all, very non-assumingly, been so generous with their homes. My friend Silvia let me be a part of her Long Beach life for a week! I stayed in Kelly and Hyrum's guest room for a month! My aunt and uncle are letting me stay here in Hillsborough (which, if you don't know Northern California, is beautiful) for as long as I need. I began to panic as I search for a place, because affordable has not been comfortable, and vice versa. I was in a dilemma of whether to share an apartment with some girls and be able to save over $500/month ($6000 a year!) versus what I would pay in my own place. Until last night, a posting magically appeared on Craigslist for an apartment leasing in the coastal town where I want to leave for even LESS than the rent of the shared apartment! I haven't seen it yet, and I don't even know if "this is the place," but I really felt like God has been listening to me and answering my prayers in His own quiet way. Perhaps it has been a coincidence, but I believe it to be directly connected to the law of tithing and to answered prayers.

So, if you made it to the end of that--you can ditch out of church after the sacrament! I had the English ward (singular) in my stake's time wrong, so my choices are Fijian, Tongan, Samoan, Chinese, or Spanish. Hasta luego, amigos!

4 comments:

Karin said...

Man, I wish I had been able to read this in the morning, thanI could have snuck out before my talk...I hope it is "the place"!

l.j.h. said...

AWESOME! good to hear sis, hope it all works out. In the end, Deepak is always right. First class all da way.

Sarah said...

That is awesome! I am glad that things are starting to fall into place. We know how it feels to choose between things or paying tithing. Tithing has it's blessings, especially when things seem the hardest. But I am glad to hear that you are doing well! Love you!

Stacey said...

Thanks for this post, Linz. I hope you find some place fabulous. Your new job sounds great. You will be awesome at it!