Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Tribute

Four years ago, I was hit by a Pepsi truck. (Contact me for boycott details.) After some very frustrating months, I was written a check for "total loss." I don't do change very well, and that was my very first car. My dad was good about teaching me how to take care of things, and so I was certain I would never be able to find a suitable replacement, especially in Mexico. I just wanted my Corolla.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving 6 months later. I am at a loss for many of the details due to an altered mental state. All I know is that I was driving down State Street in Orem, and I saw her. A mirror image of my first car, only purple. (Actually Spiced Plum. Actually...Sugarplum.) A thorough once-over by the reliable Uncle Buzz, a quick trip to Wells Fargo, and she was mine.

This month she also reached an important milestone: 99,999 miles. Today I was finally able to get around to some of the pampering I had promised her. The ding in the windshield is fixed. No new brakes needed. Tires are good. Alignment: check. Suspension, go for launch. She is superCorolla.

That is why I love you, Sugarplum. You're my partner in crime. You've gone places where no Corolla has ever gone--and I am very sure of that. (We were spinning wheels in a salty shrimp flat not too long ago...) And you keep going like nothing. We are a great team. Thanks for supporting me through all my adventures. Happy 99,999!

3 comments:

Karin said...

just 2 hours ago I reaed an article about not only men loving their cars and that woman especially give the beloved a name...well...if your post isn't proof enough for this...

Ashley said...

...here's to another 100,000-- cuz I know she'll make it.

Stacey said...

gotta love Corollas. dave swears when ours (who looks exactly like your original one, if memory serves) finally gives up the ghost, he's going straight out for another one. this post reminds me of my sweet little metro, though. i loved her the moment i saw her. still miss that car.