Wednesday, May 6, 2009

i don't keep a journal,

so this will have to do.

it wasnt the endorphins, i had already taught a spin class (my last at the hotel for now) and surfed for 3 hours.

it wasnt my bike. although i love her, most mexicans have nicer bikes than i do, and most mexicans prefer not to bike, if you get my drift. i bought my bike the summer after my freshman year at BYU (read my blog title and do the math), working double shifts at the days inn as a bedmaker (promoted from housekeeping) and night receptionist so i could afford the latest thing...a mountain bike. without shocks. it has been kept outdoors in a humid, salt-air, hot sun setting for about three years now. it definitely wasnt my bike.

it wasnt the weather. it is really starting to get hot.

it wasnt the company. my 3 surfer girl friends decided to reroute to maui after swine flu became an issue, and the bay has been anything but bustling ever since.

it wasnt out of boredom. i should be studying for an exam, cleaning my bathrooms, cooking meals (since my family left, i have been existing solely on the frosted mini wheats they left in their absence), and visiting teaching (since i've finally, after 4 years, been given an assignment. and i leave in a month).

it was because i just started to break down. warning to all male readers. a combination of losing work and paying rent in the same day, beginning to worry about the jobs i am supposed to be looking for, and pms.

and at just the right moment, a good friend who always knows the right things to say to me, sent me an email and told me go out and do something fun.

so i threw the bike in my trusty sugarplum (whom i love as much, if not more than my bike), drove to the nearest resort/ghost town, and rode my bike for hours through the empty roads that lead to the empty hotels with a sea-breeze blowing in my face and the sun setting over the hotels' horizon.

and even if it didnt last forever, and even if i came home to everything the same as when i left...

go out and do something fun.

4 comments:

Sarah Pearl said...

awww. So poetic and heartfelt. Words of wit and wisdom from Linz are always the best.

Karin said...

AFter I read this post, first I cried, than I felt sorry for myself because I can't do any fun things at the moment, then I decided giving the baby a massage will at least be a pleasure. I wouldn't use fun to describe it. And then...I went to find YOU a job
This is Andera Jukes reply to my telling her I know a great teacher who needs a job. Altough Andera doesn't know it's you...


We really are hiring! Have her send me an email or go to edjoin.org and look for El Dorado County ( or just go straight to edcoe.org)

Kellie and Justin said...

i luvs you, lindz. thanks for your honesty. and happy happy belated birthday!

Karin said...

what, I missed it? Oh bummer...sorry, hope it wasn't that day...